Matthew is a senior commercial lawyer specialising in all aspects of business and commercial law, property law and development, business succession planning and taxation.
Matthew was appointed as the firm’s Managing Director in June 2011. Matthew is a National Councillor of The Taxation Institute and guest lecturer at the University of Tasmania Legal Practice Course on GST.
He is also a previous member of the Property and Commercial Law Committee of the Law Society of Tasmania and a founding member of the Society’s new CPD Committee.
- Bachelor of Commerce (University of Tasmania) (1999)
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Tasmania) (1999)
- Graduate Certificate of Legal Practice (University of Tasmania) (2000)
- Admitted to the Supreme Court of Tasmania, High Court and Federal Court (2000).
- Successfully completed a large range of commercial and property transactions for clients, including for interstate and overseas interests.
- Extensive experience of assisting clients to take development projects to market including specialist drafting of a wide range of documents
- Experienced in all aspects of estate planning and business succession planning for a broad range of clients
- Regular speaker on commercial, tax (GST), strata title matters, practice management and estate planning topics for the Law Society of Tasmania, the Tax Institute and OCV (now Strata Communities Victoria)
- Experienced trainer, mentor and supervisor of senior and junior legal practitioners and teams
- Actively involved as an equity stakeholder in numerous property development ventures, including the development of the Henry Jones Art Hotel and IXL Apartments in Hunter and Evans Streets, Hobart
- Long history of volunteering in development programs for youth and young people
Industry membership and appointments
- Member, Law Society of Tasmania since 2000
- Member, The Tax Institute since 2000
- State Councillor, The Tax Institute since 2008
- Director (National Councillor), The Tax Institute since 2010
- National Treasurer, The Tax Institute since 2013
- Member of Australian Legal Practice Management Association
- Member of the Law Society Property and Commercial Law Committee (2000 – 2011)
- A founding member of the Law Society’s CPD Committee (2011 – 2013)