Ross has extensive experience in commercial transactions both litigious and non-litigious across a range of industry sectors. Ross’ clients benefit from his ability to tackle larger projects and difficult matters, analysing the raw issues and producing strategies, solutions and options for his clients’ assistance, and resolution of conflict.
Ross has many satisfied clients who benefit from his rapid turn around, personal attention and team leading capabilities. Ross is particularly proud of his availability to deal with urgent matters and to bring together other professionals to serve on a team to solve problems from the everyday to the unique.
Ross’ skills extend to acting as solicitor in commercial litigation. He works with leading Tasmanian barristers to achieve positive results for clients of Rae and Partners. Ross is particularly noted for being able to produce alternative strategies, for strategising of long term projects and, in particular, facilitation of negotiated outcomes in disputes.
He has worked with leading accounting, architectural, engineering and other professional service firms to assist his clients achieve their goals.
Ross’ many achievements include:
- Leading the Law Society of Tasmania in its transition to a more competitive foundation for legal practice
- Serving on the Law Council of Australia when it introduced the National Profession Project
- Acting as lead professional with respect to complex tourism development, including designing strategies to obtain community acceptance for a project undertaken in a sensitive area
- Advising and acting with respect to the acquisition of a major Tasmanian telecommunications reseller
- Advising and acting with respect to the sale of a private hospital
- Advising the management of a major health insurance provider
- Acting with respect to major commercial property transactions
- Supreme Court litigation arising from sale and purchase transactions, particularly concerning contractual enforcement
- General advice with respect to shareholder and joint venture developments, including the enforcement of restrictive covenants and restraint of trade.
- Fast Track Constructive Trust litigation in the Federal Court.
Industry membership and appointments
- Past member of the Council of the Law Society of Tasmania 1989-2007, President 1993-1994 at age 33
- Past member of the Council of the Law Council of Australia
- Board member Inveresk Railyards Management Authority during its operation
- Director Northern Tasmania Regional Development Board from inception (1993) until 2005
- District Legal Adviser Rotary International District 9830
- Member of Governing Council THO-North, and Audit/Risk committee of that organization
- Member or advisor to a range of community groups
- Trustee of a Public Charitable Trust benefiting Tasmania for over 15 years